Written By: Thursday, January 12th 2017

Game summary courtesy www.attackhockey.com

The Owen Sound Attack took down the Guelph Storm for the 11th straight win on Wednesday, Jan. 11, and those in attendance witnessed a record setting performance by the Bayshore Boys.

Powered by Jonah Gadjovich’s hattrick, the 8-2 victory surpassed the mark of 10 straight wins set by the Owen Sound Platers in 1996-97 and by the Attack in 2004-05.

The victory also moved the Attack ahead of both the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and Peterborough Petes for the longest winning streak by a team during the 2016-17 OHL season.

Owen Sound would find themselves with a very early chance on the man advantage after Givani Smith took Jacob Friend into the boards from behind with just 36 seconds gone in the game.

Unfortunately, the Attack were unable to score on the ensuing 4:00 powerplay, but their man advantage would click on the next opportunity they were given.

With 7:40 gone in the opening frame, Kevin Hancock would capitalize on the Powerplay, scoring his 18th goal of the year after whacking away at a loose puck sitting beside Storm goaltender Liam Herbst.

Attack captain Santino Centorame and Jonah Gadjovich would assist on the 1-0 play, but the lead was short lived.

Just 40 seconds later, Guelph would score on a rebound of its own when Nick Deakin-Poot swatted home a loose puck to tie the game up at a goal apiece.

The Storm would take the momentum gained from that first goal and quickly turn it into a 2-1.

After working around deep in the Owen Sound zone, a blast from the point would bounce off of Isaac Ratcliffe’s stick before eluding Michael McNiven to give the visitors the lead at 12:12 of the first period.

But the Attack weren’t about to roll over, and the scoring-fest continued just over a minute later.

After a pair of pinpoint passes by Sean Durzi and Zachary Roberts, Attack defenceman Markus Phillips would stride in off of the blueline and snap his 6th of the year over the outstretched glove of a screened Herbst to even things up at two.

Owen Sound wasn’t done there either.

With 2:29 remaining in the frame, the line of Aidain Dudas, Zachary Roberts, and Matthew Struthers would go to work down low.

Their pressure on the Storm defenders would allow Struthers to pick up the puck and skate to the front of the net where he buried a backhander for the 3-2 lead.

Both of his linemates would register assists on the play, which was Struthers’ 3rd goal of the year.

The Attack would finally wrap up the 1st period scoring on a rather awkward goal with just 20 seconds left in the period.

Clearing the zone, Sean Durzi would find Jonah Gadjovich with a long stretch pass, and Gadjovich would scamper up the left wing side and around a Storm defender before firing a shot towards the Storm cage.

Before it could reach the net though, it would bounce off of a Guelph defender’s stick and over Herbst’s shoulder for a 4-2 Attack lead.

Gadjovich’s 22nd of the year would take the teams to the first intermission after a back and forth opening 20 minutes of hockey.

The middle stanza would begin for the Attack the same way it ended, although their 5th goal would be on a gorgeous shot by Gadjovich rather than a fortunate bounce.

With 4:33 gone in the frame, the line of Hancock, Suzuki, and Gadjovich would go to work on Guelph down low and eventually create enough space for Suzuki to feather a pass to a wide open Gadjovich who was standing at the faceoff dot to the left of Liam Herbst.

Gadjovich would take the pass and rip if just above the Storm goaltender’s pad to for his 2nd of the evening and 23rd on the season, tying Petrus Palmu for the team lead in goals.

That be the only goal of the 2nd period, and in fact would be the only tally until Gadjovich added his 3rd of the night, giving him two hat tricks in his last three games.

More impressively, this 2nd hat trick was of the natural variety as the 3rd year forward picked up goals 4, 5, and 6 for the Bears.

Gadjovich’s 3rd goal would come just 42 seconds into the 3rd period on a Powerplay after he tipped home a shot that had already been redirected by Kevin Hancock.

Santino Centorame would also assist on the goal, which gave the Attack a 6-2 lead over the Storm.

But it wasn’t 6-2 for long.

After Guelph defender Dmitri Samorukov turned the puck over on his side of the centre-line, Petrus Palmu would deftly pick up the loose disk before barrelling in on Herbst and absolutely rifling home his 24th of the year for the 7-2 advantage.

The unassisted tally would come just 3:09 into the final frame.

The Attack would add one more with 3:49 left in the game when Zachary Roberts launched his 5th of the year over the shoulder of Herbst to give the Attack an 8-2 advantage.

Markus Phillips and Aidan Dudas would provide the assists on the goal, which was how things would finish.

Jonah Gadjovich was named the 1st Star of the Game thanks to his three goal, one assist performance, capping off what was a clean sweep for the Attack when it came the post game awards.

Kevin Hancock was named the game’s 2nd star, while Santino Centorame picked up 3rd star honours.

Michael McNiven picked up his 22nd win of the year on the night, turning aside 21 of 23 shots as the Shots on Goal finished at 42-23 for the Attack.

Owen Sound and the Storm are back at it on Friday night when the teams meet at the Sleeman Centre in Guelph.

Puck drop for that game, which can be viewed on Rogers Local 53, is slated for 7:30pm.

The Attack’s next home game is scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 14 when the Sarnia Sting come to town for a 7:30pm puck drop.

Tickets for that game are available at the Attack Box Office, online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.