Written By: Sunday, October 15th 2017

It was an old fashioned barn burner at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre on Saturday night, with Maksim Sushko leading the charge for the Owen Sound Attack in a throttling of the Oshawa Generals.

Sushko racked up four goals in a dominating 12-6 victory for the Attack, a game that also saw Sean Durzi, Alan Lyszczarczyk, Ethan Szypula, Kevin Hancock, Aidan Dudas, and Nikc Suzuki record multipoint efforts.

Also making his mark on the night was rookie Jackson Doherty, who scored his 1st career Ontario Hockey League goal in the winning effort.

The Attack got on the board early when Nick Suzuki scored a gorgeous goal on the team’s 1st powerplay opportunity of the night at 8:04 of the opening frame.

Suzuki’s 5th of the year came by the way of a nifty little toe-drag that opened up enough ice to rifle a snapshot past Kyle Keyser for a 1-0 lead on assists from Kevin Hancock and Alan Lyszczarczyk.

It didn’t take the Generals long to get one back on a powerplay chance of their own though, and scoring for the visitors was Danil Antropov off of a backdoor pass from Allan McShane just 1:31 later.

But the Attack were primed to come back and when they did, it was on a gorgeous passing play that saw Maksim Sushko find the back of the net for his 5th of the year as well.

Ethan Szypula set up the Attack’s scoring play by driving hard around the Oshawa net before feeding the puck to Nick Suzuki. Suzuki swiftly tapped the disk over to Sushko who made no mistake in restoring Owen Sound’s lead.

And that’s when things got heated.

With about 5:00 to left in the frame, Oshawa’s Serron Noel drove the net hard and went flying through Zach Bowman with no call on the play.

That set tempers aflame on both sides and and after Kyle MacLean cheap-shotted Ethan Szypula, a large fracas broke out that saw penalties assessed to Owen Sound’s Jacob Friend, Sean Durzi, and Ethan Szypula, as well as Oshawa’s Serron Noel, MacLean, and Jack Studnicka.

After all the penalties were assessed – totalling 66 minutes – the Attack appeared to gain momentum and scored two more goals to expand their lead.

Making it 3-1 for the home side was Kevin Hancock, capitalizing on another powerplay and feeds from Suzuki and Lyszczarczyk with 3:40 left in the opening frame.

Not even 80 seconds later, they were back at it.

Maksim Sushko was the goal scorer this time, snagging his 2nd of the game on a hard drive to the net and a cross ice pass from Chase Campbell that made it a three goal advantage for Owen Sound.

Sushko’s goal, his 6th of the season, was the final tally of the period and the teams would head to the intermission looking to cool off after a feisty first period.

The break couldn’t slow down Owen Sound’s offence though.

After a cross checking penalty to Domenico Commisso just 39 seconds into the 2nd period, Kevin Hancock picked up his 2nd of the affair by winding up and blasting a fluttering puck past Kyle Keyser at the 1:21 mark of the frame. to chase the Oshawa goalie from the cage and make it a 5-1 Attack lead.

Almost exactly 8:00 after they made it 5-1, and with a number of additional penalties having been assessed to both teams, the Attack wold add another to their lead.

Making it 6-1 was Sean Durzi, who snapped home his 3rd of the year on assists Ethan Szypula and Nick Suzuki to welcome goaltender Logan Gauthier to the game.

Oshawa got one back thanks to a solo Jack Studnicka effort at 9:43 of the period on a Generals powerplay, but the home team responded with two more of their own.

Making it 7-2 was Alan Lyszczarczyk on a snapshot that whistled by the ear of a screened Gauthier on assists from Markus Phillips and Aidan Dudas.

Then, Maksim Sushko would complete the hattrick on a gorgeous individual effort to make it 8-2 at exactly 12:00 of the 2nd period.

Jackson Doherty got in on the action as well, banging home a rebound on an Ethan Szypula shot for his first career OHL goal with 2:50 left in the 2nd period.

Before the 2nd period came to an end though, the Generals came back with a pair of goals of their own.

Mitchell Brewer scored twice in just over two minutes of play to cut Owen Sound’s lead to five with one period to play.

The goal fest continued in the 3rd with Sushko adding another unassisted shorthanded marker to give the Attack a 10-4 lead.

They weren’t done there either, and 61 seconds after Sushko’s goal, Aidan Dudas showed off a little curl and drag before ripping the puck over top of Gauthier’s glove and into the net to make it 11-4.The lone assist on Dudas’ 5th of the year went to Sean Durzi.

The two sides would trade goals to close the game out, with Oshawa’s Domenico Commisso and Alex Di Carlo sandiwching a Nick Suzuki tally to round out a 12-6 Attack victory when all was said and done.

Sushko was named the Mac Taylor Corporation 1st Star of the Game on Saturday night, with Nick Suzuki and Alan Lyszczarczyk picking up 2nd and 3rd stars, respectively.

Rookie Jackson Doherty was named the Hatten Home Building Centre Hardest Working Player of the Game after scoring his 1st career OHL goal in the win.

The Mark McDade Chestnut Park Shots on Goal finished at 37-34 in favour of Owen Sound on the evening, with Zack Bowman turning aside 28 Oshawa attempts in the win.

The Attack will finish up their weekend slate of games on Sunday afternoon when they travel to London for a rare matinee affair.

Owen Sound’s next home game is Saturday, Oct. 28 when they play host to the visiting North Bay Battalion.

Tickets for that game, and all remaining Attack home games, are available at the Attack Box Office, online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.

courtesy: www.attackhockey.com