Written By: Monday, January 15th 2018

Owen Sound Attacker Kevin Hancock

The Owen Sound Attack completed their northern road swing in disappointing fashion on Sunday afternoon, dropping a 2-1 decision to the Sudbury Wolves after Kevin Hancock opened the scoring late in the 2nd period.

The Attack dominated the opening period, playing much of it deep in Sudbury’s end, but were unable to show anything for their efforts thanks to a solid performance in net by Wolves’ keeper, Jack McGrath.

Owen Sound – primarily the line of Nick Suzuki, Kevin Hancock, and Alan Lyszczarczyk – kept Sudbury looking like they barely had their collective heads above water while producing 11 high quality shots on goal.

While Mack Guzda was only tested four times in the Attack goal, the game’s 1st shot was a rip from the low slot by Drake Pilon and if it wasn’t for the Owen Sound goalkeeper’s fantastic glove save, the visitors would have found themselves down 1-0 rather than tied at zero at the intermission.

Things remained much of the same in the middle stanza when the teams retook the ice in search of the game’s 1st goal.

Sudbury seemed to find their legs after being dominated in the opening frame, hemming the Attack in their end for stretches of the 2nd period, but eventually the Attack’s dominance shone through.

After a kneeing penalty to Drake Pilon sent Owen Sound to a Baywest Nissan Powerplay with 12:09 gone in the 2nd, the momentum shifted decisively in the Attack’s favour.

While the Bayshore Boys were unable to score on that man advantage, they wore down the Wolves to the point where the game’s 1st goal wasn’t far off.

A three-on-two break for Owen Sound’s line of Suzuki, Hancock, and Lyszczarczyk saw Suzuki and Lyszczarczyk play pitch and catch before Suzuki set up a trailing Hancock for his 11th of the season at the 15:24 mark of the frame.

For Hancock, the goal marked his 1st tally since returning from a six week injury absence, and put Owen Sound up 1-0.

It appeared as though the Attack would head into the 3rd period leading by that one goal margin, but a net front scramble in the Owen Sound zone allowed the Wolves to tie the game at a goal apiece with just 0.2 seconds remaining on the clock.

Darian Pilon was the one who poked the puck through Mack Guzda with the slimmest of time remaining in the period, but the goal counted and after 40:00 of play, Owen Sound and Sudbury went to the intermission deadlocked at one.

The late period Wolves goal seemed to give Sudbury some life when the 3rd period kicked off, and just 4:16 into the final frame it was the other Pilon finding the back of the net.

After a defensive zone breakdown by the Attack, Drake Pilon pounced on a loose puck in the Owen Sound slot and quickly rifled the puck past Guzda to give the Wolves their first lead of the afternoon.

That goal wound up as the difference maker as Owen Sound was unable to capitalize on a checking from behind penalty to David Levin and force overtime.

The Mark McDade Chestnut Park Shots on Goal finished at 34-25 in favour of the Attack on the afternoon, with Sudbury goalkeeper Jake McGrath earning Mac Taylor Corporation 1st Star of the Game after making 33 saves.

Wolves goalscorers Darian and Drake Pilon were named 2nd and 3rd Stars respectively.

Owen Sound will now play host to the Hamilton Bulldogs on Wednesday, Jan. 17 with puck drop slated for 7:00pm at the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre.

Tickets are available at the MacVicar & McComb ReMax Attack Box Office, online at www.attackhockey.com, or by calling 519-371-7452.